Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Allow me to introduce myself

My name is Qin Tang. I have been a resident of Woodbury since 2001 - and that’s how long I have been reading Woodbury Bulletin.

I really enjoy reading the newspaper every week to find out what’s going on in the community. Even though I read other newspapers as well, there is no other paper I am more loyal to than this one. It’s close to home and is more important to me.

In the past, I have had several articles published in the Bulletin. But that can’t be compared to what I am starting now - as a personal columnist for this award-winning newspaper.

I am so excited to become a regular writer for the paper and to make my contribution to something that has enriched my own life in the past six years.

The Bulletin's managing editor, Bob Eighmy, asked that I tell you a little bit about myself in this first column so people can know where I come from. It’s my pleasure to do so. I hope I will also get to know more people in Woodbury as a result of writing this column.

I came from China. My hometown, Suzhou, is a well known ancient city in China with a history of 2500 years. The city is renowned for its beautiful classical gardens, pagodas, stone bridges and silk industry. It is, therefore, a great tourist attraction. The city has been called the "Paradise on Earth" since ancient times and is also known as the "Venice of the East."

Suzhou currently has a pupation of a little over 6 million people. That's about one half percent of the total population in China. The city ranks No. 1 in its contracted overseas investments and is one of the most prosperous cities in China. Geographically, Suzhou is about one to two hours away from Shanghai.

I studied German at the Beijing Foreign Studies University in Beijing, the Capital of China, from 1981 to1985. After graduation I got a job at the China Central Television to help start a new German language program. A year later I left for Germany for additional education on a German government scholarship. I studied at the University of Heidelberg for five years and got my MA in German in 1991.

That same year I came to the United States.

After a lot of hard work learning English and passing my "English as a second language" test, I went to the University of Wisconsin, Madison for a master’s degree in Library and Information Science, which I finished in 1994. (Yes, you do need a master’s degree to be a professional librarian. Many people are surprised to hear that.) I lived and worked in Chicago for five years before moving to Twin Cities in 1999. Since 2000 I have been working at the Minnesota Dept. of Transportation.

While I enjoy living in the US, and both of my chilldren were born here, I still feel a deep connection to my native country where I spent my first 22 years of life. I also treasure the five years I lived in Germany. I would consider myself a resident of Woodbury and a citizen of the world.

I am so looking forward to sharing with you what’s on my mind. The great thing about being a personal columnist is I can write almost whatever I want. As Bob Eighmy said: “The sky's the limit.”

I know I will write articles related to children and school. You will hear a lot about my two children, Andy, 8 and Amy, 6, who both attend Liberty Ridge Elementary School.

I will write about things related to China. Even though I left China 20 years ago, China is still close to my heart.

I will write about books I read since I like to read every day. There is nothing I enjoy doing more than reading and writing.

I will write about issues related to this community.

Most of all, I will write whatever inspires me, whatever is dear to my heart, whatever is on my mind. I hope you will enjoy my column and my writing.

[Originally published in Woodbury Bulletin on 11/8/2006]

No comments: